[GRASS-dev] r.modis in GRASS 7 trunk

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Oct 31 01:31:00 PDT 2012

On 31/10/12 09:15, Markus Metz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Yann Chemin<yann.chemin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>> On 31 October 2012 02:25, Helena Mitasova<hmitaso at ncsu.edu>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree with Glynn and Ben,
>>> when working with students on 50+ different projects it is really great to
>>> have everything
>>> in one package and not to worry about which additional tool to install and
>>> whether it will work with the latest release.
>>

>> Same conclusion here for teaching...
>
> +1

+1, especially from teaching to students from countries with very poor,
or inexistant, internet connections. Having all in one package makes
life so much easier for them.

>>> We used to have the code split into core, alpha and several other groups
>>> and it was pain to maintain,
>>> I think it works much better now and the toolbox concept should be
>>> implemented at the GUI level.
>>

>> +1
> +1
> I think the toolbox concept on GUI level could help users a lot.

+1

Some way of (des)activating certain parts of the menus in order to only
see what you need, while still having all modules available whenever
necessary.

>>> Maybe PSC should have some mechanism to decide on which add-ons to move to
>>> trunk based on a defined set of criteria.
>>

>> +1
> I suggest that modules should not simply be moved from addons to
> trunk, but that a developer has a close look at a module including
> testing before moving it to trunk.

+1, but I see Martin's point about lack of dev power. So the trade-off
has to be between quality of code and value added of having a
functionality in trunk even if the code is not perfect.

Moritz