[GRASS-dev] Image Segmentation - Summer of Code

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Sep 6 06:59:11 PDT 2012

On 06/09/12 15:44, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>

> great work with the i.segment, I just made a test with the NC Landsat
> sample data:
>
> i.segment -w -l group=lsat7_2000 output=testsegment threshold=4 \
>                 method=region_growing similarity=euclidean minsize=20
>
> The result looks already pretty nice without further parameter tuning.
>
> It would now be cool to susequently perform a unsupervised classification
> with, say, i.cluster/i.maxlik in order to group the segments to a certain
> number of classes.
>
> Would that be feasible from the resulting image statistics?

I'm not sure that i.cluster is the right tool here. I think it might be
more efficient / easier to actually transform the segments into vectors
and fill up the attribute table with a whole series of statistics
concerning spectral, shape, context, etc characteristics of these segments.

I guess you could also create a whole series of new bands, one for each
of the characteristics mentioned above, in which for each pixel you put
the statistic of its segment concering the respective characteristic,
and submit that to i.cluster. But somehow that doesn't sound as
efficient to me...

Moritz