[GRASS-dev] language still broken for foreign Macs and x11 required - blockers

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Fri Sep 7 11:34:14 PDT 2012

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've had a spanish student trying to use GRASS on a new Mac set to Spanish. It is completely unusable.

1. GRASS 6.4.3 and GRASS 7 refuse to start up in GUI mode to set initial location, GIS database, etc because X11 is not installed. But I did NOT compile this with X11. I started getting complaints about not having X11 installed very recently. It might be associated with the cartographic composer (I got this complaint when I tried to do a preview), but that could be a red herring I suppose. This is serious bug in at least some cases that keep GRASS from running on non-Linux systems. X11 does not come with either Mac or Windows.

2. The language issue is back in force--or perhaps never went away. When Salva tried to start up the gui, it created a python error that locale could not be set to es_AR. He has never set his computer to Argentinian Spanish and I have no idea where this is coming from. I was getting equally bogus errors from another Spanish colleague (who has been gone for a month, so I could not test). It is cool that we can set different languages in the GUI, but it should not keep the GUI from opening if something is not right about the computer's language setting. I've tried resetting in .bash_profile and will try in some other places to see if I can again come up with a workaround. But sadly, it is not working on GRASS 7 either, even after Maris' new fixes (unless something has happened to them in the past few days.

This is preventing GRASS from running on at least some Mac computers using non-english languages.

Hopefully these can be straightened out.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www:  http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton