[GRASS-dev] TclTk linking in GRASS 6.4

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Apr 4 04:16:23 PDT 2013

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> Trying to understand the linking of TclTk in GRASS 6.4... I was poking
> around and noticed that libgrass_form itself does not link TclTk, and
> it appears it just creates form content in text and html. This content
> can be displayed with TclTk by the "form" applet, which does link
> TclTk, or in the console like with v.what, which does not link or use
> TclTk.
>
> Is this the general case then - none of the grass libraries link or
> use TclTk directly, just some applets (like form) and modules (like
> NVIZ) do?

Correct.

lib/form consists of the "form" program, a custom Tcl/Tk interpreter
which adds a few commands for interfacing with the GRASS DBMI library,
and a library which spawns the form program and feeds it a mixture of
Tcl/Tk code and HTML.

NVIZ consists of a custom Tcl/Tk interpreter which adds commands for
interfacing with the OGSF library, plus a significant amount of Tcl/Tk
code which uses the custom interpreter.

v.digit also links against Tcl/Tk (note that it has its own embedded
copy of the form library).

> If so, I need to rethink my OS X arch substitutions to handle
> 32bit-only TclTk in 64bit GRASS.

In theory, it should suffice to build the two interpreters
($GISBASE/bin/nviz and $GISBASE/etc/form/form) plus v.digit as 32-bit
executables.