[GRASS-dev] winGRASS: why GIS_DATABASE "$DOCUMENTS\GIS DataBase" with white space in path?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Apr 15 07:39:11 PDT 2013

Markus Neteler wrote:

> >> while playing with winGRASS on Windows 8, I realized that
> >> the default grassdata path is a bit unfortunate:
> >>
> >> grep 'GIS Data' */* 2>&1 | grep -v directory
> >> mswindows/GRASS-Installer.nsi.tmpl:
> >>    StrCpy $GIS_DATABASE "$DOCUMENTS\GIS DataBase"
> >>
> >> - uses white space (which we commonly dislike)
> >> - is different from most GRASS tutorials
> >>
> >> Why not
> >>
> >>     StrCpy $GIS_DATABASE "$DOCUMENTS\grassdata"
> >>
> >> which would solve above problems?
> >
> > I don't think the whitespace in GISDBASE is a big problem any
> > more for us, hopefully with 6.4.3 we'll get rid of the last
> > of the quoting problems
>
> I still think that *asking* for problems is not a good strategy.

Both "$DOCUMENTS\GIS DataBase" and "$DOCUMENTS\grassdata" may contain
spaces, as $DOCUMENTS may contain spaces, and we can't do anything
about that.

The former is consistent: it will always contain spaces. The latter
may or may not contain spaces, meaning that particular changes may
work for the developer making the changes but not work for a
significant proportion of users.