[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r55864 - in grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4: display/d.where general/g.mapset imagery/i.topo.corr lib/init raster/r.in.gdal raster/r.region scripts/v.db.join scripts/v.db.update vector vector/v.what

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 07:07:54 PDT 2013

Hamish:
> > is the i18n maintenance something that could be scripted to
> > make it be less work?

MarkusN:
> If you have a cmd line software to translate messages, yes :)
>
> The rest is already scripted except for the human work to
> actually translate to PL, DE, IT, JA, etc.

You really shouldn't dangle these little interesting challenges
in front of me, I'm supposed to be getting some sleep here. ;-)

Looking into it, ./locale/ is ~100MB, perhaps 25% of that is
English msgid chars to be translated (complete wild guess).

Google charges US$20 per million chars translated per lang.
(multibyte chars count as "1")

so 25mb*$20 ~ US$500 to run everything through their API -> "fuzzy".
no discounts for non-profits at this time.

https://developers.google.com/translate/v2/faq
https://developers.google.com/translate/v2/terms
https://developers.google.com/translate/v2/pricing

see also previous idea/prototype for automatic-man page
translation from the 6.3 days:
 http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Updating_GRASS_Documentation#Translations

(Babelfish is dead, but the Google demo still works)

Hamish