[GRASS-dev] new osgeo4w-python and winGrass643RC3-standalone: error in GUI startup

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Apr 21 01:47:33 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:
> BUT after builing and installing the winGrass643RC3-standalone installer,
> there's an error in GUI startup:

> 6.4.3RC3\Python27\lib\sre_constants.py", line 18, in <module>
>     from _sre import MAXREPEAT
> ImportError: cannot import name MAXREPEAT
> Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please

I have tested the winGRASS standalone installer which
I got from Helmut on Windows8, no such problem. It seems
(again) to be specific to the Windows version (sigh).

Searching around I found
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15984650/python-wont-run-due-to-importerror-cannot-import-maxrepeat

but no real idea what to suggest. Should we put out this
installer anyway? It would be bad to delay RC3 as well as
to ditch it and do all release procedure again forRC4 (it
always takes me several hours).

?

Markus