[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2013, GRASS symbology idea

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 03:29:08 PDT 2013

Hi Hamish,

2013/4/24 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
> n.b. the point of ps.map is not to make graphical output per se
> (for presentations and the web), it's for hard copy plots
> (including large-format charts) and EPS figures for journal
> articles and hard-bound reports. true-scale plots are only
> possible with ps.map.
>
> The d.* modules and ps.map are aiming to two different goals,
> with the comon theme of we should be able to make beautiful
> output with both, and not be forced to use one for a purpose it
> wasn't designed for because of some deficiency in the other.

right, anyway with improved `d.*` modules and cairo display driver the
user could get nicer results quite easily in different formats
including postscript, pdf or svg. The goal is not to replace `ps.map`
(sure, thanks for maintaining it!), but to improve d.* modules and
especially cairo driver to get better results just from command line
or from the wxGUI.

Martin