[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS 7 tech-preview release preparations

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Aug 26 14:24:12 PDT 2013

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> - Two concern Windows code page issues (#995, #1288) for which I don't
> really know what a possible solution would be (is it possible to create
> a launcher for GRASS in Python, without using .bat at all ?)

If the Python interpreter is registered, you should just be able to
execute the grass70.py script.

Failing that, you can create a shortcut which executes a specific
python.exe (or pythonw.exe) with the path to the grass.py script as an
argument.

Failing that, a .bat/.cmd file should work fine, so long as it just
executes grass70.py via Python, and doesn't try to do anything else.

The short version is: batch files can't handle non-ASCII characters.
The longer version is that each locale has two distinct codepages, and
cmd.exe itself tends to assume that everything uses the locale's OEM
codepage while most programs use the locale's ANSI codepage. If you
use any character which isn't the same in both, you lose.