[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS 7 tech-preview release preparations

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 27 03:47:10 PDT 2013

Vaclav wrote:

> * For finding and running a module, user should use the module
> tree in the search modules tab.

Hi,

I welcome better presentation of the menus since they get rather big (platoon rule of thumb: any more than ~12 in any level/group gets a bit overwhelming), but wrt "search to run" as the primary instead of augmenting method, I fear that way is not very discoverable -- at least I'd like to avoid the situation where a new user needs to know the name of what they're looking for before they can find it, which isn't so good to explore & learn about new modules you don't know exist yet. Especially for a software so big as ours which takes years to fully know.

We are spatial creatures, so a spatial model for menu layout where we can use our spatial & muscle memories helps I think. Our monitors are getting really wide these days, both desktop and laptop, and so top menu bars will fit even better than they used to, we just have to make the windows a bit wider to compensate. Luckily these days there's space for that. (2c)

regards,
Hamish