[GRASS-dev] GRASS7.0 on Mavericks

Yann Chemin ychemin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 04:51:44 PST 2013

Hi,

I created a new user (also administrator) on a MacBook and started to
follow Michael's steps to install version 7 Maverick

I get a strange error on install, the directory GRASS (inside is the
application grass-7.0) is there but I do not have permission to open the
directory in Finder (though I did install it). Going to the "main" user of
the machine I could change the permissions, and also checked that GRASS7.0
runs well, all good there, no worries.

Going back to my user, I can go in the directory, and launch the
application, ok. Then things go weird. It was working well in the "main"
user but bugs in that new user... Both have admin level.

Python 2.7.5 found.

WELCOME TO GRASS 7.0.svn

   1) Have at your side all available GRASS GIS tutorials

   2) When working on your location, the following materials

      are extremely useful:

      - A topographic map of your area

      - Current catalog of available computer maps

   3) heck the GRASS GIS web pages for supporting mailing lists and more:

      http://grass.osgeo.org

Hit RETURN to continue

Starting GRASS GIS...

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File
"/Applications/GRASS/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/gui/wxpython/gis_set.py",
line 37, in <module>

    from core.utils import _

  File
"/Applications/GRASS/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/gui/wxpython/core/utils.py",
line 36, in <module>

    from core.gcmd  import RunCommand

  File
"/Applications/GRASS/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/gui/wxpython/core/gcmd.py",
line 744, in <module>

    _enc = GetDefaultEncoding() # define as global variable

  File
"/Applications/GRASS/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/gui/wxpython/core/gcmd.py",
line 737, in GetDefaultEncoding

    enc = locale.getdefaultlocale()[1]

  File
"/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/locale.py",
line 511, in getdefaultlocale

    return _parse_localename(localename)

  File
"/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/locale.py",
line 443, in _parse_localename

    raise ValueError, 'unknown locale: %s' % localename

ValueError: unknown locale: UTF-8

Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please report this error to the GRASS
developers.

Switching to text mode now.

--
----