[GRASS-dev] Major changes in the temporal framework

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 27 18:33:15 PST 2013

Hi Luca,
i will try to support your suggestion. I will introduce two GRASS
variables to be set via g.gisenv.

Use:

g.gisenv set="TGIS_DISABLE_MAPSET_CHECK=True"
g.gisenv set="TGIS_DISABLE_TIMESTAMP_WRITE=True"

to disable the mapset check and the writing of the timestamps of each
map to the map metadata
in the spatial database as text files. You can set these variables
mapset specific.
Settings these variables "True" should (hopefully, because untested)
allow the registration of maps outside the current mapset, even if you
do not have the permission to modify the maps.

A warning will be printed if these variables are set True.

BUT, be aware that this feature can lead to the corruption of the
temporal database and
unwanted side effects. You can mess up the temporal database if you
are not 100% sure what you are doing.
It is no longer possible to access the timestamp information of these
maps using the C-libraries, because
the timestamp information is not available in the map metadata text files.

Best regards
Soeren