[GRASS-dev] Simple bash auto-completion for GRASS

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Feb 5 03:11:54 PST 2013

Vaclav Petras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> he is the simple incomplete version of auto-completion for GRASS bash
> command line.

Thanks for the attempt Vaclav.  This would be a POWER-feature :-)

> Implemented only of two commands -- d.rast and d.vect -- and works
> only in the case with single parameter (d.vect mapname). It completes
> the name of raster/vector map (for all mapsets as returned by
> g.mlist).
>
> How to test it: in the GRASS command line run "source
> bash_completion.sh". Type "d.rast " and press TAB.
>
> I don't know what should be auto-completed;

I think it would be a great time-saver if it would be possible to
auto-complete existing map (file)names for parameters like "input=",
"map=" and why not (sub-)group names (think of i.group group=...) and
color rules (think of r.colors map=... color=...).

> how to deal with the number of GRASS commands; if/how to handle parameters;
> what are side-effects; how it works on various systems/shells; and how to
> integrated into GRASS. The question which I tried to answer is: Is
> that possible?

Thank you, Nikos