[GRASS-dev] cairodriver build error

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Feb 13 17:55:28 PST 2013

(I'm getting this on the GRASS list, I'm sure there are others with a better idea of what to do)

platform.make.in is changed by configure to create platform.make.  It's standard GNU autotools stuff for variable replacement.  There are really 2 things needed: FCLIB (that's what is referenced in grass.make to link the cairo driver) needs to be added to platform.make.in with a variable replacement placeholder (see other variables in the file for examples), and configure needs to figure out what FCLIB needs to be AND set it so that it gets replaced in platform.make.in.

FCLIB looks like it's meant to be for fontconfig, one of the dependencies of cairo.  I don't see any detection for fontconfig itself.  One possibility is that it was supposed to be extracted from the cairo linking flags.  Or it should be directly in the cairo linking flags, and FCLIB is just a leftover.  In either case, it's probably really a problem with cairo not having the correct linking flags, ie missing -lfontconfig.  I take care of this in my cairo framework by building fontconfig into the framework, so only the cairo framework needs to be linked, that's why I've never noticed the problem.

On Feb 13, 2013, at 5:41 PM, Massimo Di Stefano wrote:

> William, i opened the ticket below :
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1884
>
> i'm tring to dive into platform.make to try to understand …
>
> if you can help or want me to test any change in order to fix it, i'll be happy to follow you.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Massimo.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin