[GRASS-dev] Additional switch(es) for <g.mapsets>?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 09:51:49 PST 2013

On 18 February 2013 15:34, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2013/2/18 Anna Kratochvílová <kratochanna at gmail.com>:
>> I think there is no reason for that. Also, this g.mapsets -s is not
>> really consistent with the new g.gui.modules. What about
>> g.gui.mapsets? Or if we want to keep the flag -s, the code should be
>> at least on one place.
>
> this `-s` flag is a historical artefact from G6 - `g.mapsets -s`
> originally launch TCL/TK dialog (if GUI is TCL/TK). Having `g.gui.*`
> modules, `g.gui.mapsets` makes probably more sense (drawback: one more
> module introduced, backward compatibility broken - 's' flag removed)
> than `g.mapsets -s`. In any case, code should be on one place, of
> course.

Hi,

we can ignore backward compatibility issue if we decide that mixing
modules with and without gui is simply wrong (I vote for non-mixing
but we can do some wider discussion on that topic, of course).

I'm afraid that we are not able to keep the number of g.gui.* modules small.

For me the drawback is that as a user I have to thing about two
different mapset modules. Generally speaking, there is no rule to
determine which functionality is provided by the g.mapset(s) module
and which by g.gui.mapset(s) module.