[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS nightly builds

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 22:41:17 PST 2013

Doug wrote:
> Compiled with openmp and liblas?

fwiw I would not really recommend to compile with OpenMP support
unless you are willing to help develop that. Most of it is fine I
think, but the LU parts used by v.surf.rst and v.surf.bspline are
not very efficient, overhead is like 70%. So you do get a little speedup verus single core, but use a lot of power to do it.
(currently that spawns 10s of thousands of threads when it would be better to spawn nearer to the number of local CPU cores)

For that matter I would not recommend that new users be
encouraged to use development versions at all, unless they are
willing to help develop it, or at least debug it. And if
development nightly builds are made available, it should be made
very clear that it could eat all your data, harm your dog, etc.

best,
Hamish