[GRASS-dev] drop / link table

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 11:14:36 PST 2013

Hi,

First of all, happy new year. For me the year starts with some trouble
dealing with attribute tables. Below two things I can't figure out. This is
all in GRASS 7.0 on Linux

(A)

I am trying to link a second table to layer two of a vector layer. For
example:

v.db.addtable map=A table=A2 layer=2 columns='bio1  INTEGER,bio2  INTEGER'

This creates, as expected, a table with a cat column (at least, in the
table attribute manager, the tables shows with a cat column with values)
and two empty columns bio1 and bio2

Now I want to populate the bio1 and bio2 columns using v.what.rast:

v.what.rast map=A Layer=2 raster=bio_1 at climate column=bio1
v.what.rast map=A Layer=2 raster=bio_2 at climate column=bio2

I am getting the following error message:

Reading features from vector map...
 100%
WARNING: 316 points without category were skipped
Update vector attributes...
WARNING: No record for category 0 in table <A2>
 100%
v.what.rast complete. 0 records updated.

But the table A2, linked to layer 2, does have category values. Or do I
misunderstand how this works?

(B)

I wanted to drop the layer from a vector map.  In the Table Attribute
manager, you can remove a layer without dropping (deleting) the table (the
default). But how do I do this on the command line? Using the
d.db.droptable removes the layer by dropping the table (or it removes the
layer and drops the table, not sure what happens internally).

Cheers,

Paulo