[GRASS-dev] d.vect: remove llayer parameter

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Jan 8 02:26:23 PST 2013

On 03/01/13 20:51, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder what is the reason for existence of `llayer` parameter in
> `d.vect` module. I would guess that it's not reasonable to display
> features (shapes) from `layer` 1 and cats/attributes from `llayer` 2
> at the same time? You can display features from all layers
> (`layer=-1`) and to display only labels for features from eg. layer 2
> (`llayer=2`). I just wonder if it's not too big price, probably it can
> be source of the user confusion. Why `d.vect map=map layer=2
> display=cat` still displays categories for layer 1? And so on.
>
> My suggestion is to remove `llayer` parameter from `d.vect` module.
> The paremeter `layer` would be used to select all display types -
> shapes, cats, attributes.
>
> What do you think? Martin

-1

Two examples of where I find llayer useful:

- checking for results of automatic cleaning in v.in.ogr: you might to
see the features and the cat on layer two indicating how many
overlapping features were at the origin

- for all the v.net.* modules where by default arcs are in layer 1 and
nodes in layer 2: I often display everything with layer=-1 and then
display the node categories.

Moritz