[GRASS-dev] d.vect: remove llayer parameter

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 00:56:51 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 03/01/13 20:51, Martin Landa wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder what is the reason for existence of `llayer` parameter in
>> `d.vect` module. I would guess that it's not reasonable to display
>> features (shapes) from `layer` 1 and cats/attributes from `llayer` 2
>> at the same time? You can display features from all layers
>> (`layer=-1`) and to display only labels for features from eg. layer 2
>> (`llayer=2`). I just wonder if it's not too big price, probably it can
>> be source of the user confusion. Why `d.vect map=map layer=2
>> display=cat` still displays categories for layer 1? And so on.
>>
>> My suggestion is to remove `llayer` parameter from `d.vect` module.
>> The paremeter `layer` would be used to select all display types -
>> shapes, cats, attributes.
>>
>> What do you think? Martin
>>

> -1
>
> Two examples of where I find llayer useful:
>
> - checking for results of automatic cleaning in v.in.ogr: you might to see
> the features and the cat on layer two indicating how many overlapping
> features were at the origin
>
> - for all the v.net.* modules where by default arcs are in layer 1 and nodes
> in layer 2: I often display everything with layer=-1 and then display the
> node categories.

The arguments of Moritz make sense to me.

Anyway, I would prefer to get wxGUI vector display fixed before
changing d.vect: the layer option is silently reset by the GUI to the
default when you open the properties dialog, don't change anything,
just click ok.

Markus M