[GRASS-dev] r54612 - grass/trunk/mswindows - wingrass: attempt to define python file association

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 13:39:01 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

>> A GRASS installer should not attempt to install Python other than by
>> (possibly) downloading and executing the appropriate installer from
>> python.org.
>
> Currently the native installer contains python which is provided
> within osgeo4w framework (taken from python.org ASAR).

The python version coming with osgeow4 or wingrass is not a Windows
python, it is a msys python. Windows does not know about it.

> Agreed, in
> other words, do not install python if there is already other python
> installed.

osgeow4 or wingrass do not install python such that the OS (Windows)
is aware of it. For that you need to install python the same way like
e.g.
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/python-2.7.3.msi
does.

>> This won't work for general-purpose scripting. The only thing which
>> *will* work is to have a suitable version of Python (plus any
>> necessary packages) installed system-wide. And that isn't something
>> which GRASS can do anything about, nor should it try (other than by
>> providing advice to the user).
>
> Hm, not sure. Esri ArcGIS contains also installation of Python.

Esri ArcGIS installs system-wide a true Windows version of Python.
Another possibility is to look at the way e.g. LibreOffice or Gimp
install python on Windows (not system-wide).

I found that problems go away if I install
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/python-2.7.3.msi
which is a true Windows system-wide installation.

my 2c

Markus M