[GRASS-dev] About the "-g" switch of g.region

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Jan 22 11:33:28 PST 2013

Glynn Clements wrote:

> I think it implies that the output is in a format amenable to use by
> shell scripts.

> DNS is primarily meant for humans; programs which aren't specifically
> designed for geography or cartography won't understand DMS, so it will
> have to be converted, and doing that in a shell script is messy (expr
> and $((...)) only support integer arithmetic).

For the records, I require(d) a bunch of Landsat scene center coordinates.
Yes, in decimal degrees to feed the i.atcorr module. But, it took me a while,
to find it (-g). I was sure I have "grepped" decimal degrees from a grass-
module before -- couldn't recall, however, which one.

Personally a I would prefer a (slightly) different description for the switch,
or, at the very least, some additional note in the manual.

Thank you Glynn, Nikos