[GRASS-dev] separator in G7: limit to one character

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 06:22:56 PST 2013

Hi all,

most of modules assume that separator is limited to one character.
Recently I have added to libgis G_option_to_separator() which gets
separator character from the option [1]. Some of modules also accepts
more characters as separator. Maybe it's good time to consolidate it.
The question is - should be separator limited to one character or not.
I would say that for horizontal separator one char should be enough.
In some cases (eg. vertical separator in `db.select`) more characters
(`char *`) as a separator also make sense. If we limit separator to
one character, we need to handle such cases separately, eg. by adding
G_option_to_separator_as_string().

What do you think? Martin

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/parser_8c.html#ad7e371d6e2ef54f8e739e93de68d651b