[GRASS-dev] r.statistics in G7

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jul 1 22:58:57 PDT 2013

Hamish wrote:

> perhaps -> r.stats.cover and r.stats.quantile?

I'm not sure about the first one. Is there a generic name for
aggregates which involve sums (count, sum, mean, variance, standard
deviation, skew, kurtosis)?

r.statistics3 was derived from r.quantile by keeping a separate state
for each category in the base map.

Note that neither r.statistics2 nor r.statistics3 can calculate the
mode. I'm not sure if the concept of mode is even meaningful when the
inputs are floating-point maps (both modules automatically promote the
cover maps to DCELL, and always generate DCELL outputs (even for
method=count)).

However, r.mode still exists (maybe we should rename it to
r.statistics4 for consistency).

> we should also add r.stats (and perhaps r.univar) into this discussion.
> r.stats -> r.stats.summary ?

r.collate? r.stats basically groups the input values (or the cartesian
product of multiple inputs) into bins then dumps the <value(s),count>
pairs.