[GRASS-dev] --with-opencl without a GPU

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 05:03:52 PDT 2013

Maciek pisze:

>>  Thanks for sharing this. Unless anyone has more input I'll try to put
>>  this information together on the GRASS WiKi in the coming days.
>
> I hope I got it right:
> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/grass-wiki/index.php?title=GPU&action=historysubmit&diff=19076&oldid=18745.

my only small comments would be *.so library names are linux-specific (well maybe FreeBSD too, I'm not sure), the exact library name is different on Mac (but automatically installed there so users don't have to worry about it), and that "soon"* the FOSS video drivers will have OpenCL support on linux, and it's good to future-proof the wording used on the wiki. :)
 [*] http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/

> "Linux + Intel graphics you need a Xeon chip for driver GPU support
> currently."

not really relevant to the wiki page until we see a GRASS + OpenCL build for Windows (..could happen?), but the funny thing is that for MS Windows the opposite is true, only GPU support for the i7 chip & not Xeon. Performance is probably not so great for the Ivy Bridge chips, but it's good as an already-there learning platform.

thanks,
Hamish