[GRASS-dev] Make grass 7 installable with brew on Mac?

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Jul 4 00:28:49 PDT 2013

William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> writes:

> There are easy to install OS X installer packages for everything you
> need for GRASS, and other GIS software.  I wouldn't call package
> managers easier and painless on OS X, just another way to do things.

Well - when using the frameworks, one has to manually install all the
dependencies. There is also the aspect opf, if I am not mistaken,
different frameworks please correct me if I am wrong) for the same
program. Then there is, in the case of gdal, the necessity to set the
path to the gdal library manually when installing rgdal in R, which is
not necessary when using e.g. homebrew -

,----
| brew install grass
`----

installs all dependencies and in R,

,----
| install.packages("rgdal", type="source")
`----

installs rgdal using gdal installed with brew.

Then there is the update issue:

,----
| brew upgrade
`----

updates all packages, which is much easier then checking each framwework
manually.

So overall, It might not be the typical OS X way, but a package manager
is, based on my Linux background, easier
to manage and maintain then individual installations.

Oh - and brew works without sudo, not systemwide.

Don't get me wrong - I am using your frameworks at the moment and the
grass 7 binary from cmbarton and it works - but to use it from R (not
with R running in GRASS), I had to set library paths which I only
figured out by looking through the grass startup script).

> The /Library problems is the linking of the help files to the system
> help.  For the help to be available to all users, it must be /Library.
> I've been thinking about it off and on and have a couple ideas, I just
> haven't had time to work on it.
>
> I don't do homebrew or any other package manager, and I don't do ruby,
> so I can't help you with that error, you should ask the homebrew
> folks.

I'll see what I can do,

Thanks,

Rainer

> On Jul 2, 2013, at 4:27 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I just recently migrated to a Mac with OS X, and one think I am really
>> missing is the package management. Therefore, I am now using
>> homebrew [1] which works nicely - only that the recipe for installing
>> grass from head does not work [2]. I would think that homebrew would be
>> a nice addition to the ways of installing on OS X and it would make
>> using GRASS much easied (all dependencies have a installation recipe, R
>> has one as well, installation of rgdal is painless (from source)).
>>
>> According to adamv [3] the problem is the following:
>> ,----
>> | Looking at the source to the new version, it still tries to install
>> | files into /Library, but it now does it in a separate OS X specific
>> | Makefile.
>> `----
>> Is there any chance that somebody with a mac at hand and interest could
>> take a look at this? It sounds like an easy to solve problem (the
>> homebrew recipes are ruby), but I don't know anything about ruby.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>>
>> Rainer
>>

>> Footnotes:
>> [1]  http://mxcl.github.io/homebrew/
>>
>> [2] error:
>> ,----
>> | patching file Makefile
>> | Hunk #1 FAILED at 304.
>> | 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.rej
>> | Error: Failure while executing: /usr/bin/patch -f -p1 -i 000-homebrew.diff
>> `----
>>
>> [3]  https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/20665#issuecomment-19846487
>>

>> --
>> Rainer M. Krug
>>
>> email: RMKrug<at>gmail<dot>com
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>