[GRASS-dev] Weekly report #3 - GRASS Interactive Scatter Plot Tool

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 6 04:06:20 PDT 2013

Štěpán wrote:

> The problem is that currently the scatter plot tool is not using raster library
> for analysed rasters and instead of this it is it is producing binary files. The
> reason for that bypass is that in it's current state the raster library has
> limitations, which make it difficult to use it in wxGUI environment. The major
> limitation for the scatter plot tool is an inability of the raster library to
> define own region just for rasters, which the tool uses. It can be changed only
> for the whole wxGUI environment.

Hi,

I am interested to hear more about the library limitations.. you
mean the WIND region, right? I'd be surprised if WIND_OVERRIDE or
GRASS_REGION enviro variables (and the python wrappers for them)
didn't provide full control for whatever someone might like to do.

I would guess if the scatter tool was spawned as an independent
process, it could maintain its own environment & so it's own region
override enviro variables. or simply unset the wxGUI display overrides
and just use the mapset's real computational region read directly from
the WIND file?

regards,
Hamish