[GRASS-dev] Let's enrich the demolocation with a country borders map

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 15 04:45:53 PDT 2013

Markus Neteler wrote:
> esp. for Windows users the demolocation should be copied
> into a/the grassdata directory (I think there is still a bug
> there which prevents the installer from setting up things as
> ready-for-use: it is bad to not have [win]GRASS usable out of
> the box).

I'm not sure about grass7, but startup using the demolocation
on WinGrass 6.4svn and 6.5 is working fine. Of course it's
empty, but at least it runs.

> Since the demolocation does not contain anything interesting,

I am happy for a minimal demolocation to ship with WinGRASS*,
but if we do that we should take what "demolocation" is now and
rename it "dummylocation" or so for the build scripts.

[*] a true demo location is probably of limited use with linux
distro packages since the end-user won't have write permission
to create their own mapset in the default paths. e.g. in debian
it would end up in /usr/share/doc/grass/examples/ and need to
be copied to $HOME by hand by interested users.

> I have locally prepared a copy of
> http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/110m-cultural-vectors/

great :)

> Content:
> v.info -c country_boundaries
> Displaying column types/names for database connection of
> layer <1>:

perhaps we could drop some of the the hardly-used columns and
make it even smaller?

thanks,
Hamish