[GRASS-dev] GSoC - TGRASS temporal algebra status

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 16 02:59:07 PDT 2013

Hi Hamish,

2013/6/13 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>

> Thomas wrote:
> > in the last weeks Soeren and I worked intensively on the
> > concept for the temporal algebra in GRASS. I created a wiki
> > page with an overview of our concept open for discussion:
> > http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/TemporalGISAlgebra
>
> Hi Thomas, I'm (really) glad to see that you will hit the
> ground running. :)
>
> > Additionally I uploaded a first version of the new created
> > module v.mapcalc to my GSoC project page at code.google:
> > https://code.google.com/p/grass-gis-temporal-algebra/
>
> I would ask that you develop your code in either the grass-addons
> or grass-sandbox svn repo, so that when it comes time to merge
> your finished product(s) it can be done with full changelog
> history, and that we may provide peer support as we see the
> commits pass by in the regular way.

It is easier for us to use code.google.com at this stage of development. It
is much faster than the grass svn especially the web-front-end. We can
accidentally smash it without harming the grass7/addons repository. Code
reviews can be requested and so on.

When the code is ready to be merged into grass7 (addons or trunk we are not
sure about that) the revision control history will be transferred as well,
since we are using subversion. As a side effect Thomas get familiar with
subversion and is able to use the grass7 repository in the future as well.

> for the wiki I don't really mind where it lives, as long as
> it's stable and so will still exist years from now for reference.

IMHO the discussion about grass7 development belongs into the trac wiki,
especially the development of specific parts of the GRASS GIS temporal
framework. Hence we have chosen the trac wiki. :)

> > This module provides an algebra for overlay and buffer
> > functions on vector map layers based on PLY (Python Lex-Yacc)
> > and PyGRASS.
> >
> > In the next step, we will develop the temporal algebra and
> > combine the vector algebra with it to derive the temporal
> > vector algebra module t.vect.mapcalc.
>
> seeing that it seems to share much with r.mapcalc, it would
> be good to document on the wiki/help pages where its syntax
> diverges from r.mapcalc, and document in the code which design
> decisions were inherited directly from r.mapcalc.
>
> We oriented the syntax of the temporal algebra on the syntax of r.mapcalc,
and so the syntax of the temporal vector and raster algebra. The wiki page
gives and impression what ideas are inherited from r.mapcalc.
Thomas will document this in detail when he implements the temporal algebra.

Best regards
Soeren