[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.4.3 release planning

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 27 16:10:36 PDT 2013

Hamish wrote:
> > anything else to add?

MarkusN:
> It is not clear to me (lost in too many emails):
> - if g.extension is sufficiently ok now

AFAIK, yes. On Mac OSX Michael reported some success for grass6,
but problems remain with grass7.

> - if Python scripts run on Windows

which ones? addons or in-built wxgui ones?

python addons for grass6 via g.extension are only working on *NIX afaik,
but I think python addons for wingrass are not a blocker. they are only
a few and we can worry about it in grass-addons svn after release.
Perhaps a new include/make/PythonScipt.make for 6.4.4 with .bat file
wrappers and rename as needed if the .py extension association remains
unsolved?

Also the wingrass g.extension[.py] addons come pre-built, so we can
apply any fixes post-release there via the server.

I am more concerned about people's own custom python scripts and giving
them good advice about how to use them in developing their own projects.
But that issue could be beyond the scope of any particular release.

> - for both, if it improved in the upcoming RC4

categorically I'd say yes, although RC3 likely was the main improvement.
is it perfect? probably not but generally working and no longer a reason
to delay IMO.

> So, perhaps either some related remarks would be good or
> a link to the (to be updated)
> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status#Known_Issues

ok, now added to the RC4 news wiki page along with a link to open GRASS
6.x tickets, but the wingrass wiki known issues page is well out of date
and needs a cleanup.

Helena:
> I am also wondering whether the r.mapcalc expressions with || (or)
> now run from the wxGUI command console.

I just tried on linux 6.4.3svn wxGUI command console:
  r.mapcalc "either = 0 || 1"
and it worked.

In general I wouldn't be surprised if full command line quoting took
years and huge amounts of effort to (re)perfect. And even then, does
it try to follow Bash conventions, or python, or DOS, or some mix of
all those? How much do we try to (re)teach about command line
techniques in our own docs? Will unquoted input=C:\Users\files\data.txt
always be parsed to input=C:Usersfilesdata.txt (literal \U, \f, \d)
in the command console in that case?

best,
Hamish