[GRASS-dev] r.statistics in G7

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 13:07:33 PDT 2013

Hi Glynn,

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>wrote:

> r.statistics2 and r.statistics3 are intended to replace r.statistics.
> But those two modules have almost nothing in common. r.statistics2
> calculates statistics which are based upon accumulators (i.e. count,
> sum of x^n, sum of (x-mean)^n), while r.statistics3 calculates
> quantiles.
>
> If you want a work-alike replacement for r.statistics, it would be
> simpler to create a script which just runs r.statistics2 and/or
> r.statistics3 to do the work.
>
> In the event that you want both types of statistics, there could be
> some efficiency gains to be had by merging the two, but only at the
> cost of creating a module which is noticeably more complex than the
> sum of its parts.

Thank you for the explanation! I perfectly agree that it's better to keep a
couple of modules instead of a very complex one. But from the user's POV
their names at the moment are not very informative. If you consider also
r.stats... how could the user guess what's the purpose of them all at the
first glance? Perhaps names like r.stats.*, where * is the particular
function that they perform, would be a bit easier to understand (?)

Just my 2 cents

cheers madi

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.