[GRASS-dev] releasing 6.4.3

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 11 00:45:23 PDT 2013

On 03/10/2013 10:02 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:
>> if we know that installing vcredist_2010_x86.exe would be enough, it should
>> be doable by the nsis-wingrass-installer...
>
> We could try... then decide. If it is not too much mess?
>
> BTW:
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679
> -> VSU1\vcredist_x86.exe for 2012

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "DLL path"
on Windows. See the treatise on confused operating
system design here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682586(v=vs.85).aspx

(enjoy "Standard Search Order for Desktop Applications"!)

This whole drama might be resolved once there is a
complete build chain based on MSYS/MinGW-64 to replace
Visual C/C++. I am working on this:

http://gvsigce.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_the_GNU_Compiler_Collection

The above includes GRASS and all of its dependencies
except for WxWidgets. However, the latter also seems
to build OK with recent versions of MinGW-64:

http://wxwidgets.blogspot.de/2011/06/choosing-gcc-for-building-wxwidgets.html

Realistically speaking, it will take a few more
weeks for me to complete and test the build chain.
We plan to release the resulting binaries with
gvSIG CE 1.0 (which will ship with GRASS 6.4.3 as
a geoprocessing backend). From that point forward,
i.e. GRASS 6.4.4, it might be feasible to base GRASS
Windows releases on the gvSIG CE build chain:
no more pesky VC runtime DLLs!

Also, in case you are not using it yet:
"Dependency Walker" is really helpful for
locating DLL-related problems.

Best,

Ben