[GRASS-dev] compilation of grass on AIX 7.1

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 14:39:12 PDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> > r39731 re-wrote it to use $host. Rather than trying to figure out the
>> > correct $host value for each possible system (few of which were
>> > available for testing), the sections for "unused" systems were
>> > removed, with the intent that they would be added if and when someone
>> > with access to such a system was able to report the correct $host
>> > value and which compiler/linker switches actually worked on that
>> > system.
>>
>> ... your help would be needed to re-enable AIX support.
>
> The main thing that's needed is someone with:
>
> 1. Knowledge of the correct $host string for that platform (this can
> be obtained by running the config.guess script).

Or simply running ./configure and report the error. Users trying to
compile GRASS are, according to the official documentation, advised to
run
./configure <optional custom options>
make
make install

> 2. Knowledge of which compiler and linker switches are required to
> build shared libraries on that platform.
>
> 3. Access to the platform, for testing.
>
> Each new platform needs to define the following variables:
>
>         LDFLAGS
>         LD_SEARCH_FLAGS
>         LD_LIBRARY_PATH_VAR
>
>         SHLIB_CFLAGS
>         SHLIB_LD
>         SHLIB_LD_FLAGS
>         SHLIB_SUFFIX
>
>         STLIB_LD
>         STLIB_SUFFIX
>
> STLIB_LD and STLIB_SUFFIX have sensible defaults (building static
> libraries tends to be the same on all systems). The others only really
> matter for building shared libraries (LDFLAGS is also used for
> building executables, but it can normally be empty).

I would like to see support for at least FreeBSD (BSD is the
predecessor of nearly all current operating systems), IBM AIX (a
commercial unix-based OS), and HP-UX (another commercial unix-based
OS). If we can adjust the G7 configure script to compile G7 on IBM AIX
and HP-UX, we would be to my knowledge the only GIS package available
for these high-performance operating systems, and I assume that we
want G7 to be available on commercial high-performance operating
systems.

Markus M