[GRASS-dev] Grass7 tech-preview release [was Re: [GRASS-user] to move or not move ? grass64 <- ? -> 7.0]

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 19 12:57:55 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the idea of a tech-preview release of GRASS7!

Me, too.

> I think that no more (or at least not many) major changes will go into
> GRASS 7, apart from the wxGUI code base.

We should also remember that this will go towards 7.0 and then a
nice 7.1 and so forth are expecting us.

(At the FOSS4G Lausanne 2006 we even had a "GRASS 8" (grassotto,
 Italian word joke) logo :-) - maybe I can get the file from Alessandro Frigeri
 who draw it.)

> Therefore it would IMHO be
> very beneficial to get more feedback on GRASS 7 in order to detect and
> fix remaining bugs.
>
> I also like your proposed release schedule of max 1-2 weeks.

If you accept me to manage the release and related stuff, I am happy
to prepare things as needed with your help.

markusN

PS: Who cannot resist:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=type&order=priority&priority=blocker&priority=critical&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=priority&col=status&col=owner&col=component&milestone=7.0.0