[GRASS-dev] Quiet module output

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 08:57:03 PDT 2013

I agree, --quiet set GRASS_VERBOSE to 0.
But this is not always inherited. Eg. in one of my python scripts I
use the GRASS-Numpy interface
(http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Python_Scripting_Library#Interfacing_with_NumPy)
My script is very similar to the example in the wiki, where I use
".read()" to get GRASS maps
into numpy and ".write()" to get numpy arrays to GRASS.

And here the ".write()" uses actually r.bin.in to write the file back
into grass.
For this process the progress message (...100%) is shown still although the
flag "quiet" is set for the entire script. Looking at the debugging output when
running the script I see that 1) the ".read()" uses r.out.bin --q but
the ".write()"
uses r.in.bin --v. So is that setting respectively the definition
of ".write()" with the verbose-flag interfering?

Anybody an idea how to fix that, so that the GRASS_VERBOSE variable
is also inherited to .write() commands in a python.script?

/johannes