[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1838: r.mask: allow use of vector map as input

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon May 20 08:05:24 PDT 2013

Paulo van Breugel wrote:

Hi Paulo!

> If you have a vector layer with (some) polygons that occur partly within
> the region of interest, finding the area that should become a mask means in
> that case spitting the polygon(s). Yes, of course you could do that, but
> you can equally well (easier in fact) set the region to match your vector
> layer (or the region of interest) manually.

I don't really understand the above.

> An exception? I don't know, each user will use the functions available in a
> different way. I personally would prefer the current implementation, or
> more in general, to avoid functions to set the region automatically. In my
> opinion that better fits the general work flow in GRASS: the user
> explicitly sets the region, and functions operate on that region.

Sure, I agree.

> On the other hand, r.mask with a raster as input is an exception as
> mentioned already mentioned, and one could argue that it is better to have
> the same behaviour both when using raster or vector as input.

My idea comes from what (I maybe wrongly consider as a fact) the r.mask module
is used for:  a user wants to use a MASK in order to filter out (or in) cells
while processing raster data.

So the question is: I need to MASK that vector feature(s) out from my raster
processing workflow: So I'll MASK'em. Intuitively, but maybe now wise as you
and Hamish note, a user could simply say:  r.mask vector=VectorMap where="Some
SQL statement" and the module will set-up for him/her a MASK based on what
he/her expects.

> It is important thought that r.mask does not change the region if you use
> raster as input, and that is something I really think should remain the
> case when using a vector as input. That means that even if you would
> implement the suggestion above, adjusting the region to the extend of the
> vector layer before creating the mask, that region should be set back to
> the initial extend after the mask is created.

Yes, of course the *current region settings* should be respected.

Anyway, thank you for your time answering/commenting. It's just an idea that
might make life easier... if...

Thanks, Nikos