[GRASS-dev] rast_open_new() saturates after opening 127 temporary files

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Wed May 29 05:27:42 PDT 2013

See here ( entry and comments)
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-nginx-too-many-open-files/
It's  a 3 step process on Ubuntu.
1) Check the settings for fs.file-max in /etc/sysctl.conf
2)Edit /etc/security/limits.conf and bump up the file limit for the userid
that you run GRASS under.  I bumped mine up to 10000 for hard and soft
3) Add session required pam_limits.so to /etc/pam.d/common-session

Doug

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Yann Chemin <ychemin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Linux: Ubuntu 13.04
> > ulimit: open files                      (-n) 1024
> >

> > from :
> http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/317369/setting-limits-ulimit
> >
> > -n     The maximum number of open file descriptors (most systems
> >        do not allow this value to be set)
> >
> > indeed:
> > ulimit -n unlimited
> > bash: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
>
> See also here:
>

> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Large_raster_data_processing#Number_of_open_files_limitation
>
> Markus

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.