[GRASS-dev] Understanding g.tempfile and resolving "Illegal filename" issues

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Nov 14 09:05:10 PST 2013

I don't understand how to use g.tempfile. The manual simply refers to (for
bash): temp1=`g.tempfile pid=$$`

My attempts to use it like that, end up with: "Illegal filename. Character </>
not allowed."  Checking if the map's "filename" exists, returns for example:

--%<---
ERROR: Raster map
       </mnemosyne/geo/grassdb/nc_spm_08/landsat/.tmp/Resilience/26834.0>
       not found in current mapset
--->%--

I have been through the mailing list and have found past references to the
same problem. For example <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2012-March/063977.html>. However, I can't get past the problem.

I tried to use naming conventions such as "i.fusion.hpf.tmp.$$" but I still
have some problems. I would like to use g.tempfile as it seems to be a
"cleaner" way(?).

Thank you, Nikos