[GRASS-dev] Understanding g.tempfile and resolving "Illegal filename" issues

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Nov 14 16:22:02 PST 2013

Thank you both Hamish and Vaclav.

Hamish:

> g.tempfile is for actual files like ascii text files, not for map names.

got it!

> the convention used in the grass scripts for temporary map names is
> arbitrary, but e.g. the g.module command might make one called:
> tmp_gmodule.$$.elev, for vector maps replace '.' with '_' and bring out
> your curly brackets. :)

ok. I'll simply use "i.fusion.hpf.tmp.SomeString" and take care to have unique
"SomeString"s. I'll try to clean up the "curly" hair :-)

> then cleanup is as simple as g.mremove 'tmp_gmodule.$$.*', and if maps
> are left behind it's obvious later that they are temporary and where they
> came from.
>
> there's no automatic handling, but I don't see where that would save any
> time.
>

> what problems did you have with "i.fusion.hpf.tmp.$$" ?

I think the problem was (among my misunderstanding) that $$ was the same for a bunch of
names fed as variables here and there. All fixed now, it works :-)

Nikos