[GRASS-dev] where are the options listed for g.parser?

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Mon Nov 18 09:01:47 PST 2013

Thanks much Markus. This is a start. This is aimed at C programming, however, and only some of the keys and values transfer over to scripts. Following your link, I found additional info at: http://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/gis_8h_source.html#l00473

But again, this is aimed at creating interfaces in C. There is overlap, of course, but it is not the same.

What we need is something comprehensive along the lines of the example below. I don't know where it should live, but we've needed it for a long time. There should be a link to it in the g.parser docs, since the example given there is very simple. After quite a few years of scripting in GRASS I still don't know what all the options are or the possible values for some of the option fields.

Michael

-----

INTRO

begin with #%Module
end with #%End

The following are required

A brief description of the module
Takes a string with a maximum of ??? characters.
No quotation marks are needed

The following can be defined optionally

#% keywords:

The keywords field can be repeated multiple times.
A string used for searching for the command
Takes a string with a maximum of ??? characters. Single words are preferred.
No quotation marks are needed

#% overwrite:

Accepts the generic overwrite flag
Takes values: yes, no

ARGUMENTS

begin with #%option
end with #%end

The following are required

#% key:

A short string identifying the entry field in the GUI
Takes a string with a maximum of ??? characters. Single words or a very few words are preferred.
No quotation marks are needed

…

The following can be defined optionally

A string describing the information needed for the field
Takes a string with a maximum of ??? characters.
No quotation marks are needed

…

FLAGS

begin with #%flag
end with #%end

The following are required

#% key:

A single character that activates the flag
Takes a string with a maximum of 1 character
No quotation marks are needed

The following can be defined optionally

A string describing the information needed for the field
Takes a string with a maximum of ??? characters.
No quotation marks are needed

…

C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)