[GRASS-dev] GRASS and Mavericks (OS X 10.9) on Macs

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Nov 27 09:48:41 PST 2013

I upgraded all of my Macs to Mavericks over the past week. GRASS works fine.

GRASS 7 g.extension was having problems on other people’s machines because I failed to package a couple libraries for gettext. I’ve repackaged my 1 November GRASS 7 (Snow Leopard compatible) with these libraries included. This seems to have mostly fixed g.extension problems.

In order for g.extension to correctly compile source code extensions (i.e., in C rather than in Python), anyone upgrading to Mavericks also has to upgrade Xcode and the command line tools. Xcode is a free download from the app store. The command line tools are harder to come by now. AFAICT, there is no longer a link to download and install them from the Apple Developer site. This is weird, but there is a work around.

After install Xcode, open a terminal and enter:

xcode-select --install

You’ll get a dialog that allows you to install Xcode (no need to do that again) or install the command line tools. Click the install button to do that.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www:  http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton