[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 20:27:41 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Anna and I have fixed the script handing on MS Windows. Modules which are
Python scripts and/or are from GRASS addons and/or calls other modules
which are Python scripts didn't worked for various reasons. The changeset
r57910 should fix them all (and thus should fix #2039, particularly the
MAXREPEAT error).

Unfortunately, the fix is not the absolutely correct solution. There are
basically two things which are not completely resolved.

The idea of having scripts (and addons' scripts) on the path and not using
system to run a script (and using executable instead), does not seem
completely correct to me. Although, this is needed for the system command
line (which works now but I don't know why).

The other problem is that now the solution is scattered over several
functions on different places and there is some duplication. The reason is
that there is a command running functionality repeated several times on
various places in the GUI and in grass.script. This requires more complex
refactoring.

If this influences #2015 is unclear. I don't want to blame anybody but it
seems (according to what we tested that time) that #2015 just appeared for
(almost) all MS Windows versions and all GRASS versions (and builds) and
then just disappeared, so one would say that the problem was with the
system.

Vaclav

[r57910] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/57910
[#2039] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2039