[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Oct 2 08:53:07 PDT 2013

On 02/10/13 16:47, Vaclav Petras wrote:
> I'm always for pure, correct and clean solutions. However, I'm not
> expert neither in MS Windows registry nor in Python virtual environments
> nor in covering .py to .exe and nobody provided other implementation, so
> I provided mine which is messy but it only reflects mess which I---maybe
> just because of my lack of knowledge---see on that system.
>
> I don't vote for my change to be permanent if we find a different
> solution. But the fact is that scripts are not working now (for large
> number of people) and this is the only solution we have. Like with
> democracy which not perfect but it is the best political system available.

I understand the frustration, but I do agree with Glynn that sometimes
hack solutions are worse than no solution, as they cover (and make us
forget) the underlying problem. And as this is a fundamental issue, I
think we just have to be patient until someone finds the best solution.

I'm no Python expert at all, and don't have much time currently to look
any further into any of this, but have you tried the python launcher as
a possible path as outlined in [1] ?

Moritz

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2013-July/065197.html