[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Oct 3 08:26:13 PDT 2013

On 02/10/13 18:57, Anna Petrášová wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com
> <mailto:peter.zamb at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Vaclav,
>
>     On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com
>     <mailto:wenzeslaus at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > I'm always for pure, correct and clean solutions. However, I'm
>     not expert
>      > neither in MS Windows registry nor in Python virtual environments
>     nor in
>      > covering .py to .exe and nobody provided other implementation, so
>     I provided
>      > mine which is messy but it only reflects mess which I---maybe
>     just because
>      > of my lack of knowledge---see on that system.
>
>     Maybe, to resolve this issue, we can integrate in the windows
>     installer the virtualenv[0] python package, as reported in the link:
>     "virtualenv is a tool to create isolated Python environments". It
>     should works with Windows... but I never used on this platform... I'm
>     using virtualenv on linux, because the default python interpreter on
>     my distribution is python3.x, and in this way I can easily test GRASS
>     using different python versions (2.4, 2.6, 2.7).
>
>     I'm ignorant on Windows and maybe virtualenv is useless in this
>     case... or maybe integrate  virtualenv on the windows installer is too
>     complex, I have no clue!
>

> Hi,
>
> the question is: is anyone going to resolve this issue? Currently this
> is a blocker for many Windows users which we can loose easily if we
> don't provide solution soon enough.

Users come and users go. I don't think that we have to create
unsatisfactory hacks just to get some users now, with the risk of losing
them (and others) later when it becomes apparent that the hack doesn't
solve everything...

I think we just have to accept that MS Windows work power is _very_
limited amongst us and that solutions for Windows will take time to be
put in place.

Moritz