[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] GRASSplot: a tool for plotting GRASS maps with Python (Matplotlib and Basemap)

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Oct 14 14:13:20 PDT 2013

Andy Wickert wrote:

> Dear GRASS users and developers,
>
> In order to create consistent and attractive figures that combine the
> computational and data management abilities of GRASS GIS with the very
> developed set of plotting tools provided by Python's Matplotlib (and
> Basemap toolkit), I wrote a small module to automate Python plotting of
> GRASS GIS data.
>
> It currently works only for lat/lon locations (with Basemap doing the
> projection). It works well for rasters, but has some issues with vector
> extraction. I'll be working on it intermittently, but have now posted it to
> my GitHub.
>
> Code at:
> https://github.com/awickert/GRASSplot
>
> Basemap (Python) main page and gallery:
> http://matplotlib.org/basemap/
> http://matplotlib.org/basemap/users/examples.html
>
> Hope some of you find this useful!

Thank you Andy.

The "NorthAmerica" example works for me (under Funtoo, grass64).  I've seen a
couple of the examples in the above mentioned link.  If this project works out
as you plan, it'll be really very nice.  I only would like to point out to the
following Q&As which might be of your interest (as I was, coincidentally,
skimming through them today):

- <http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/3083/what-makes-a-map-beautiful/4412#4412>

- <http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/3087/what-makes-a-map-be-classed-as-badly-designed>

Nikos