[GRASS-dev] v.mapcalc

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 21 14:08:02 PDT 2013

Vaclav wrote:
> when I saw recent changes [1] in
> grass/trunk/vector/v.mapcalc/
> I realized that there is a v.mapcalc in trunk (compilation is disabled).
> However, here is also a v.mapcalc in GSoC project for temporal algebra [2].
>
> I'm wondering how they compare with each other

for the old GRASS 5 v.mapcalc which is the subject of the
trac ticket, you can read about it here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/vector/v.mapcalc/README

and for the temporal GIS v.mapcalc Thomas's wiki page that you linked to does a nice job.

AFAICT the old one is looking at math more than spatial, so perhaps a bit more like v.transform might be, than e.g. the functionality of v.overlay or v.select's GEOS tools as the temporal version might be more focused on? (I'm not really sure though, I'm just going from what I see in the README)

How the eventual-goals of both of these modules compare with what general-purpose vector ops can be done using PostGIS would be interesting to know too.

> and what is the plan?

I would suggest step 1 to be your question- understand and take an inventory of what we tools we already have, and what state they are in. Choosing the best names for things can come after that. Of course for the long run we should avoid name-space collisions if we can.

regards,
Hamish