[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:23:35 PDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>wrote:

> IMHO, what you say is that GRASS and MS Windows are incompatible by
> principle, and you will not succeed in making MS Windows compatible
> with these GRASS principles. I assume WinGRASS users expect a typical
> MS Windows software like clicking on the GRASS icon which executes a
> command (grassXY) and starts the software. I strongly suggest to
> respect the users' expectations. It does not matter in this respect if
> the command actually only sets the environment for GRASS modules and
> if this environment is like a sandbox or system-wide. FWIW, Linux
> users also execute a grassxy command to start GRASS.

I basically agree with user expectations you stated. But I would like to
note that recently, I met several users which wanted and expected that
GRASS script will run outside GRASS without any special environment setup
in the script itself. Perhaps, ArcGIS sets the environment, so this might
be the reason they expect the same from GRASS. I wonder if we can make
setting the environment in Python easier.

Vaclav