[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 04:05:40 PDT 2014

Hi Jurgen,

>> although the architecture may differ, we may get some inspiration for python
>> windows handling from other GIS projects like QGIS?
>>
>> in QGIS python is also in heavy use, e.g. QGIS processing framework, python
>> addons, integrated python shell, etc. AFAIK they're bundling python in their
>> standalone winQGIS ...
>
> Not sure if I want to participate in this thread.

you are probably not alone...

> I think a system installation of python is uncommon.  You'd have to deal with a
> variety of possibilities (python.org, ESRI, ...), you would need to make sure
> all extensions you need are available for each of them - and have them play
> nice with the rest of your install.
>
> Shipping you own python with all the extensions you need, probably saves a lot
> of headaches and lifetime.   That's the approach OSGeo4W (and in turn QGIS)
> takes.  I wouldn't require a system wide python install or try to use an
> existing one.

if you take a look on all threads related to this topic in grass-dev
ML you will count more that 150 messages, but without real consensus.
I completely agree with you. To avoid bundled Python it would require
a lot of work, we simply do not have such man-power, resources or
fundings. All projects around us shifts their own Python for Windows,
and of course beasts like Esri installs their Python system-wide, they
simply don't care. We are in different situation, happily. So if we
want to move forward (and to release GRASS 7) we would be simply
forced to stick with the current solution (forcing Python script which
are launched within GRASS environment to use Python version provided
by the installer or by OSGeo4W framework). Or we need someone who will
invest his/her energy to implement something better, it will take
probably take not days, but weeks.
Then we will probably first project who will avoid bundled Python on
Windows, cool ;-) Just discussing this topic forever is not a solution
or real problems.

Martin