[GRASS-dev] Who wants GUI and who does not and why

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 17 04:16:48 PDT 2014

(sorry for the extensive cutting)

On 17/04/14 08:41, Michael Barton wrote:

[..]

> So why should we abandon and discard the advances in interactive
> geospatial analysis and visualization pioneered by GRASS (e.g., the
> tightly integrated 2D and 3D interfaces, or the new interactive
> visualizations for remote sensing analysis)? If you like another GUI,
> like QGIS or gvSIG, by all means use it. Such diversity encourages
> innovations. But why advocate throwing away the software interface
> development in GRASS and relegate it to only the analytical modules that
> are plug-ins to other programs?
>
> Finally, unlike many other programs, users can avoid the GUI altogether
> GRASS. They can run GRASS with only the command line. All GRASS
> analytical modules can be run from the CLI and are fully scriptable, so
> that they can be embedded into other programs as well as run
> interactively. Moreover, the GUI dialogs to all modules can generate the
> commands to be used in the terminal. Given this flexibility, why get rid
> of a part of the GRASS package that makes the program very attractive
> and useable to a substantial number of the community?

I fear that this discussion is leading somewhere bad...
Perhaps the title of this post was a bit misleading.

At least from my point of view, we do not need to discuss
whether GRASS needs a GUI or not. As Michael correctly
states: whatever the community invests in will stay.
There are probably as many different preferences for user
interfaces as there are GRASS users, so any discussions on
whether there are enough GUIs or which one is be the best,
or whether it is better to work from the CLI, etc. are moot.

What I wanted to suggest was merely to separate the GRASS
core from the GUI development even more. Yes, it is true
that this has been done at source code level, but my wishes
would be that we end up in a situation that will:

1. Allow for the release stable versions of core GRASS without
having to wait for GUI fixes on different OS.

2. Always make people think twice about module/GUI interaction
when something doesn't work as smoothly as expected, so that we
always end up with a clean solution that works in a GUI and
CLI environment.

3. Leave the GUI developers more freedom to find hacks and
work-arounds for certain issues that are fine for a controlled,
monolithic GUI, but not for CLI GRASS.

If this is where things are heading anyway, then great.
Otherwise, I would like to nudge things more into the
direction mentioned above.

Best,

Ben