[GRASS-dev] GUI code dest dir

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 12:30:00 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> currently wxGUI code is placed by building system in `etc` directory.
> I would say that more appropriate would be to put `gui` directory into
> root, so at the same level as `bin` or `scripts`.
>
> Simirarly python libs are placed also in `etc` directory. They should
> probably go to `lib\python` instead of `etc\python`.
>
> Any opinion?
>
> I'm for the reform. Please, consider also other related issues.

The same layout for src and dist would be good for editing because then
editors, python and other tools can just use the layout in src and it will
work. This would mean that things which are now in `lib/python` should go
to something which is named `grass` so that I can do

import grass.script

in the source code and it will work. Maybe separate directory for python
libs in src root would enable this option?

Note that for C/C++ code we have a similar issue. In the source code,
includes are in `include` but in distribution they are in `include/grass`
so you have to do

#include grass/raster.h

but if you are editing source code in some clever editor and you want to
jump from the .c file to the header, you cannot since there is no `grass`
directory in src. This applies also for code completion etc. Of course, you
can set the editor so that it finds the files in dist but you don't want to
jump to dist, but to source code.

Vaclav

Martin