[GRASS-dev] grass-dev Digest, Vol 98, Issue 46

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Thu Apr 17 18:23:17 PDT 2014

I'm happy to see the clarifications. I'll a few more responses and clarifications, and shut up.

Cheers
Michael

(see below)

I fear that this discussion is leading somewhere bad...
Perhaps the title of this post was a bit misleading.

At least from my point of view, we do not need to discuss
whether GRASS needs a GUI or not. As Michael correctly
states: whatever the community invests in will stay.
There are probably as many different preferences for user
interfaces as there are GRASS users, so any discussions on
whether there are enough GUIs or which one is be the best,
or whether it is better to work from the CLI, etc. are moot.

What I wanted to suggest was merely to separate the GRASS
core from the GUI development even more. Yes, it is true
that this has been done at source code level, but my wishes
would be that we end up in a situation that will:

1. Allow for the release stable versions of core GRASS without
having to wait for GUI fixes on different OS.

Ben

This request suggests some misunderstanding of how GRASS and its release scheduling work. We all agree that it sometimes seems to be very slow with stable releases. But this is not a CLI vs. GUI issue. In part it has to do with the history of GRASS development that (for some reason, and not entirely bad reasons) there is a tendency to have very very clean stable releases. This involves a lot of development and bug fixing because GRASS is a very large and complex software ecosystems. We don't want to have a buggy release.

It's up to Markus and other Lords of the Code to decide how best to handle creating stable release branches. To my understanding, we as a community decide it is time for a release (not often enough perhaps), make sure that the current development branch is as clean as possible, and freeze a snapshot of the dev branch into a release branch. Then we fix any bugs in the release branch, test, and release.

You are suggesting that we create a release branch in a somewhat more complicated way, in which some new code from the current dev branch gets merged into prior release code. Maybe that is possible, but it sounds complicated to me. I would have to defer to Markus on whether this is possible or even desirable.

The GUI does not hold up release any more or less than any other part of the code. We might as well say that we'll release the raster/volume modules without waiting for bug fixes to vector modules. I'm not being facetious, but simply pointing out that if we are to release parts of the GRASS code base independently of other parts, there is no compelling rationale for splitting C-modules vs. wxPython GUI over 2D vs. 3D. Maybe this is a way to speed up releases but I'm skeptical.

Of course, anyone can compile any new versions of modules (or any other code) from the dev branch, merge it into release branch code, and package it up for distribution. This is a packager option, and I've even done that rarely when there is a critical bug fix that did not make it into a release branch.

2. Always make people think twice about module/GUI interaction
when something doesn't work as smoothly as expected, so that we
always end up with a clean solution that works in a GUI and
CLI environment.

I agree of course

3. Leave the GUI developers more freedom to find hacks and
work-arounds for certain issues that are fine for a controlled,
monolithic GUI, but not for CLI GRASS.

I'm not sure how this differs from our current situation. But maybe Ana and Martin would entertain ideas on this.

If this is where things are heading anyway, then great.
Otherwise, I would like to nudge things more into the
direction mentioned above.

I think that this is overall what we are already doing and have been doing for a while now. So maybe it is just some misunderstanding of how the release process works.